Friday, September 15, 2006

A humorous note regarding Ann Richards

Back in my former career, I was a newspaper reporter down in Texas. Back (okay, wayyy back) in 1990, I had the good fortune to cover the gubernatorial race that featured Democrat Ann Richards vs. Republican Clayton Williams. It was very interesting watching history in the making as Richards became the first woman elected Texas governor in modern history. (Actually, in the 1800s, there was another woman governor named Ma Ferguson, but she somehow ascended to the office when her husband got thrown in jail. Anyway, I digress.)

As anyone who follows the news knows, Ann Richards died the other night after a brief illness. Courtesy of Texas Students Against the Death Penalty, I stumbled across the following funny quote:

Bowing to the reality of the pro-death penalty Texas Legislature, Ann Richards was not a vocal critic of the Texas death penalty law while Governor. While campaigning for Governor, she was asked if she supported or opposed the death penalty. She said, "I will uphold the laws of the State of Texas." The reporter then asked, "But what would you do if the Legislature passed a bill repealing the death penalty?" to which she replied, "I would faint."

No comments: