Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Kerry AND Bush oppose the juvenile death penalty???

If I had blinked, I would have missed it. But this comes to me via Abe Bonowitz, via Death Penalty Information Center:

In a forum hosted by the New Voters Project, U.S. Presidential candidates George Bush and John Kerry expressed their views on executing juvenile offenders. "Federal law prohibits execution of those under 18 when the offense was committed, and I see no reason to change that statute," said President Bush. Senator John Kerry stated, "I do not think that executing minors is good policy." (Knight-Ridder, October 17, 2004). On October 13th, the U.S. Supreme Court heard oral arguments in Roper v. Simmons, a case that will determine whether the execution of juvenile offenders is constitutional


It is perhaps noteworthy that Texas leads the nation in juvenile offender executions in the modern era and in the number of juvenile offenders on death row.

No comments: