Wednesday, June 02, 2004

'I am at peace'

On Tuesday, May 25, the State of Florida executed John Blackwelder. Strangely, the execution took place on the 25th anniversary of the resumption of nonconsensual executions, both in Florida and in the United States (“nnconsensual” meaning that the inmate did not drop his appeals, unlike Gary Gilmore of Utah).

Days after Blackwelder’s execution, veteran abolitionist Hannah Floyd received the following letter from Blackwelder in her mail box:

to Members of FDRAG and others .....

It is the night before my execution. I have a busy day tomorrow, I thougth I would write to thank those who showed concern, that prayed for me.

As you might have heard on the news my views on the death penalty. I pray it gets abolished very soon. It is my hope and prayers I will be the last to be executed in Florida. the state has killed enough.

I am at peace. I have no fears. My family will be visiting tomorrow. Brother Ben Clance will be there with me till execution. at execution my attorney and Bro. Ben will be there.

I also want to thank all of those people that sent letters from all over the world.
I thank all those people that will be praying for me.

I am glad that it is over for me and again, my prayers are that no one else will have to be executed.

Respectfully

Johnn Blackwelder.




No comments: