Thursday, July 01, 2004

No f__d in Florida!

It's not just the people on the sidewalk in front of the U.S. Supreme Court who are fasting! This blog entry just came in from Jupiper, Florida. Carolyn is fasting in support of abolition along with her friend Rosie, who is in Miami. We're pleased to provide Carolyn's entry below -- and we note that this is Abolish the Death Penalty's first submission from outside the Beltway!

Greetings to you great abolitionists in Washington, DC! This is the first F&V I could not attend in five years; however, I am in fasting in solidarity with you! I want to tell you about my inspiration for this years’ F&V: my friend Rosie. Rosie is a 15 year old wonder who contacted me by email several weeks ago that she planned to fast this year and wanted to know what the dates were! Armed with instructions for fasting and a reminder to visit CUADP's web site for useful information, Rosie started her fast - for the first time in her life - with me at midnight on June 29.

Even though I’ve participated in several fasts before, Rosie is the reason why, in this 56th hour of the fast, I have not caved… Via emails, she has sent support that has brought laughter, tears, and warmth (but no f__d dammit). Here’s her latest advice: “i wanted to let u know that if u had found free time during ur day, reading has really helped ... u get so into the book, ur mind goes off the f__d topic....and another thing ... if u havent been wearing ur death penalty pin... WEAR IT!!!!!!! even if no one else is seeing u, it reminds u not to eat and helps u stay on the topic of "sacrifice for a good cause" ....

Rosie has been a good abolitionist since she was about 9 years old – wearing both death penalty abolition-wear and anti-war messages to school. (Kudos to Mom and Dad for fostering this type of activism in both of their children)… Rosie doesn’t just talk the talk, she walks the walk. As do all of you. And WE will prevail in our quest for abolition - it is only a matter of time…

I just wanted to share my story with you in DC - and those starving in solidarity elsewhere. This has been the hardest fast of all because at home all around me there are visual and olfactory reminders of what I can’t have! You know you are in trouble when, while f__ding the dogs and cats, you become a little jealous…

Carolyn Gray


Carolyn, thanks for your entry. I am quite sure that the fast and vigilers here in D.C. appreciate the support. Together, with people like you, it is not a question of whether we will abolish the death penalty but when.

No comments: